Since I have recently discovered quinoa, I am obsessed with quinoa recipes. I don’t know why, but I was afraid of it. It was intimidating to me because I didn’t know how to cook it, what to do with it, or how very easy and healthy it was!
Turns out, quinoa is just about as easy to cook as it is to cook rice! Seriously. And it is incredibly versatile as you’ll see when I post the other two recipes I have. Yum.
I’m still eating healthy on my new year’s resolution and I feel awesome. Recipes like this one for quinoa and turkey stuffed green bell peppers make it easy.
A healthy meal should have a good balance of protein, carbs, fats and veggies. This quinoa recipe has all of the above AND tons of flavor and crunch.
This recipe for quinoa and turkey stuffed bell peppers was adapted from the stuffed green peppers I have always made, I just added quinoa! It is full of healthy foods like quinoa, 99% fat free ground turkey, cauliflower, reduced fat cheese and green chiles. It’s not just healthy, but it is full of flavor too.
If you make these, I’d love to hear what you think.
- 1 c. raw quinoa cooked (makes about 4 cups)
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb. 99% ground turkey
- 4 green peppers (or any color pepper)
- 2 c. steamed cauliflower
- 2 c. reduced fat cheese
- 1/2 c. green chiles (optional - I use hot)
- Reduced sodium taco seasoning (optional)
- White ground pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cook quinoa as directed, but use chicken broth instead of water.
- While quinoa is cooking, brown ground turkey and add taco seasoning – prepare as directed.
- Steam 2 cups of cauliflower.
- Cut the top off and clean out the green peppers. (Some recipes have you boil the green pepper first, but I like some crunch to this meal so I don’t boil them first.)
- When ground turkey is fully cooked add 1/2 can of green chiles and mix. Let cook on low for about five minutes. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa, reduced fat cheese and steamed cauliflower to the turkey mixture. This is where I added about 1-2 tsp of ground white pepper just because I looooooove the taste of it. Stir together until cheese melts.
- Fill each of the prepared green peppers with mixture.
- Sprinkle a bit of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.