Community

Random act of kindness: Leaves

by Jill Bender on November 9, 2012

This weekend I finally had time to get to cleaning up my yard. I don’t have one tree in my yard, but my neighbors sure do… Sigh. They don’t take care of their yards. In fact I actually believe that some of them only do what they can get by with because they hear me […]

4 comments

Sports snack is every parent’s “aaah, what am I going to bring??” moment. You’d think that after all the years the boys have played sports that I’d own this, but I still wait til the last minute questioning the right snack. I’ve always brought oranges, granola bars……….. But I wanted to do something different. Truth […]

Leave a Comment

Random Acts of Kindness: Kids

by Jill Bender on October 21, 2012

I haven’t written about random acts of kindness in a few months, but it is NEVER far from my mind and I’m still “committing” them. This week I was on a business trip in Minneapolis. One night we had dinner at Dave and Buster’s and they gave us unlimited game cards. I wasn’t all that […]

Leave a Comment

Search for Jessica Ridgeway

by Jill Bender on October 8, 2012

Look at this face. Memorize this face. This is Jessica Ridgeway, a 10 year old girl that went missing on her way to school in Westminster, Colorado on Friday. She has yet to be found. Police are acting on several tips in their search and 12 agencies are currently cooperating, but the biggest thing we […]

Leave a Comment

Sports Illustrated Kids is looking for the  SportsParent of the Year. Hmmm… I wonder if I can nominate myself. Considering that I am a single parent and MOM and I’ve just arrived home from a weekend in Wyoming for a 3-day baseball tournament and can be found on the sideline of either soccer or baseball […]

Leave a Comment

I’m not buying it…

by Jill Bender on August 31, 2012

I just read this article about Reverend Benedict Groeshel who said in an interview this week “that child sex abusers are often seduced by teenage boys and should not go to jail on a first offense.” He later apologizes and says “My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they […]

Leave a Comment

We made our school supply donation to Jonesie’s school this afternoon. The original plan was to donate to a first year teacher, but when we made the delivery we discovered that there are no first year teacher’s at the school so we left the donation with our principal and trust that he will give it […]

6 comments

It’s been a few months since I have taken part in one of the Champions for Kids SIMPLE Service projects and I could not think of a better cause for me to jump back in on than the Bag It Forward project sponsored by Elmer’s. Their goal is to provide students with quality school supplies! […]

5 comments

Update: This giveaway is now closed. Alison, comment #34, is the winner. Whether it be technology transformations, facility makeovers, creating more substantial sports or arts programs or a chance to amp up their music department, we want to hear from students and parents from high schools across the nation We look forward to seeing the […]

41 comments

It’s very likely that everyone in the Century 16 theater on July 20, 2012 will suffer from PTSD at some point, maybe when reality really sets in. PTSD is a severe anxiety disorder that can affect anyone faced with a traumatic event. (You can read more on PTSD on Wikipedia by clicking the link.) I’m […]

Leave a Comment